Tentative Outline of Topics for AP Summer Institute
Jennifer Cook Gregory – firstname.lastname@example.org
Focus: Introduction to the New Course, Exam, and Guided Inquiry, Big Ideas #1 & 2
- Distribute workshop materials
- Discuss goals for the week
- Discuss the Curriculum Framework for the “Redesigned” Course
- AP Chemistry Curriculum Framework Activities – Big Ideas, Learning Objectives, Science Practices, Exclusion Statements
- The Audit Process & Syllabus Development
- Access and Equity (part 1)
- Intro to the Learning Cycle
- Do 2 of these labs – time permitting
- Investigation #1/2 – What is the Relationship between the concentration of a Solution and the Amount of Light Transmitted through the Solution?
- Investigation #5 – Chromatography
- Investigation #6 – What’s in That Bottle?
Focus: Inquiry; Big Idea #3 & 5
- Go over HW
- Wrap up Big Ideas 1 & 2 – Atomic Structure; States/Bonding/IMFs
- Mass Spec
- What is Inquiry?
- Format of the Exam/Understanding the Exam
- Discussion about Big Ideas #3 & 5 – Reactions and Thermochemistry
- Review past AP Chemistry Exam Questions
- Petri Dish Electrolysis Lesson
- Do 2 of these labs- time permitting
- Investigation #8: How Can We Determine the Actual Percentage of H2O2 in a Drugstore Bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide?
- Investigation #12: The Hand Warmer Design Challenge: Where Does the Heat Come From? OR Other Thermodynamics Labs
Focus: Big Idea 4
- Go over HW
- Discuss Questions on Redox and Hand Warmer Labs
- Guided Inquiry in the Classroom/Access and Equity (Part 2)
- Achievement Level Descriptors
- Using the Curriculum Framework to Design Instruction
- Guided Inquiry Kinetics “Chem Quest”
- Discussion about Big Idea #4 – Kinetics
- Look at past AP Exam questions
- Do one or both of these experiments – time permitting
- Variation on Investigation #10: How Long Will that Marble Statue Last?
- Variation on Investigation #11: What is the Rate Law of the Fading of Crystal Violet Using Beer’s Law?
Focus: Big Idea 6
- Go over HW
- Wrap up on Kinetics Labs
- Instructional Design & Assessment
- Formative vs. Summative Assessments including the Lab
- Discussion about Big Idea 6 – Equilibrium
- POGIL Equilibrium lesson
- Practice writing questions in the AP format – Big Ideas 1-6 (done in groups and shared)
- Do one or both of these labs – time permitting
- Investigation #16: The Preparation and Testing of an Effective Buffer: How Do Components Influence a Buffer’s pH and Capacity?
- Investigation #13: Can We Make the Colors of the Rainbow?
- Participant sharing of materials and websites & exam preparation strategies for students
- Review and Test Prep Materials
- What to Do after the Exam?
- Week in Review